Monday, February 16, 2015

a few of my favourite things

I always try to celebrate birthdays each year. I figure that over the course of a lifetime, however long it may be, birthdays will only make up 1/365 of your days so why not make the most of every one. I don't really worry about growing older, it is too inevitable! Whilst my birthday celebrations are not particularly outlandish they always make the day feel special, and this year seemed to be filled with things that I love!



There was breakfast in bed courtesy of The Husband (and Millie), which is always a treat. Then there were some wonderful gifts to open in front of the fire. I seemed to get lots of really perfect presents this year, ones that were exactly what I would have chosen for myself, and which I am thoroughly enjoying getting use out of. Posh pyjamas, the perfect new work bag, the book I was looking at in the bookshop window as I walked past the other day, fancy new kitchen knives, secateurs for my burgeoning herb garden, and theatre tickets too.




After a lovely few hours with my parents, enjoying gift opening and some Buck's Fizz (another birthday tradition and one of the many joys of having them around the corner!) it was off on a mystery trip. First stop was treating myself to some make up (mostly for the amazing free gift set!) from Estée Lauder, before a coffee and a pastry watching the world go by.




Next stop was breakout! I'm going to do another post on these next week but suffice to say it is my favourite thing to do at the moment. The basic premise is that you are locked in a room for 60 minutes and you have to find clues and solve puzzles to escape. Each room has a backstory and this is the second we have done, and we have escaped both times so far! One of my presents from my parents was a booking to do another one this weekend (with a different company) so we will see if we can manage a hat trick and then I will report back!




After our successful escape we went for a lovely late lunch. It was nice to try somewhere new and sit and chat. Mostly we were dissecting our breakout attempt,  and it felt like a real treat to be out for lunch on a work day.




After a quick stop for some new stationery, it was home for a small family gathering. There was tea, sandwiches, cream cakes and birthday cake. It was a really relaxed evening with lovely company and a great end to the day. So far, 29 is proving to be a fabulous age, and I'm feeling very lucky indeed.





14 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday!!! Glad that you had such a great day! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy! and thanks for visiting again x

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness Katie-29, how fabulous! So pleased to hear you had a lovely birthday, I agree it is important to celebrate birthdays. Hope this year is a fab one for you X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for your lovely words Penny :) xx

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday, sounds like a perfect day. I agree with you, birthdays should be special xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Cheryl, and thanks for visiting :) xx

      Delete
  4. Hello Katie, and thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. Yours is very stylish looking! I've had almost forty more birthdays than you, and these days, they're nothing special. I don't like being the centre of attention, don't like fuss, but love to make a fuss of friends, sending them special gifts and making cards for them. More a giver than a receiver, and always have been.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Edwina, thanks very much for taking the time to visit me in return, and for your lovely comments. I had never thought of my blog as looking stylish! Hope you pop by again.

      Delete
  5. Firstly Happy Birthday!! Secondly I wish I was 29 again!! Seriously though your birthday sounds perfect in every way, particularly the trip to Paperchase to purchase stationery - one of lives treats for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much - it was a really great day shared with those I love - what could be better! and stationery is always a treat, nothing like a new pen or notebook! thanks for stopping by again x

      Delete
  6. Happy birthday!! I'm so glad to hear you celebrated to the fullest extent. That's how birthdays should be done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Joanne - and thanks for visiting x

      Delete
  7. happy birthday, sounds like a lovely way to celebrate x

    ReplyDelete