Saturday, November 01, 2014

first things first


The first of November.

The first day of National Blog Posting Month (NaBloPoMo). Will I make it to the end? Based on past performances (GBBO Bakealong, The Year in Books, Photo-a-Day, 100 Happy Days) it is not looking hopeful. I am clearly a starter not a finisher. But always with the best of intentions, and so I will begin, though I may not end!

Also the first day of National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo). Catchy abbreviations, no? Also surely not a sensible idea to do the two at the same time? With eleven other months in the year available for this kind of activity it seems perhaps an oversight to have double-booked in such a way. Will I take part in this one? It is unlikely, I always think I should write a book (doesn't everyone?!), we will see if any first lines take hold once I've finished this post.

The first day wearing my Gran's beautiful ring. My Grandad bought it as a gift for her a few years before she died. I have wonderfully happy memories of her opening it at a family gathering, and some fabulous pictures of her looking thrilled with her present! I got it re-sized and we went to collect it today, and now I have spent the day looking thrilled with it too. Currently trying to decide whether to save it for special occasions or simply wear it all of the time.




The first step of an exciting adventure. We are hoping to go on some travels in the New Year, for a few weeks. Tomorrow afternoon has been put aside to start some itinerary planning, and possibly flight booking. It still all seems like a bit of a daydream for the moment, I've not fully convinced myself we are going yet as the idea has appeared out of the blue really, but watch this space! Any recommendations? Must-dos? Three-week itineraries that also fit in Uluru? All gratefully received.

The first television series in a long time that I can heartily recommend. I don't know if you have caught The Code - we found it by chance on iplayer and I can honestly say it is one of the most compelling things I have watched in years. It is only a six-parter, you could quite easily have a cozy Sunday and devour it in one sitting. Do. You won't regret it. And then I could talk to someone about it, because nobody has seen it, and I'm desperate to compare notes.




The first page of a new book. Although I haven't been doing the posting for the year in books, I have been reading fairly regularly all year round. I've got through several books, and am enjoying swapping novels and recommendations with my parents, who have also become avid readers in recent months too. Tonight I will curl up with a cup of tea, light a candle, don a blanket and read a few chapters. In recent weeks I have been hankering for some old-fashioned, unplugged evenings. We got engrossed in a jigsaw a few weeks ago, spending hours around the kitchen table putting pieces together by candle light.There is something so homely and soothing about turning down the lights, turning off the screens and sitting in peace. With the busyness of the last few months, and the fact that our houseguest (a relative from overseas) has now left, I am eagerly anticipating the first evening of candlelit calm for some time.



6 comments:

  1. How exciting! I climbed Uluru many years ago, an amazing experience. Something thrums through the soles of your feet when you step on it, I can't explain it, but the rock has a real spirit. Your Gran's ring will be a joy to wear, if you can wear it every day, why not! You will feel so close to her every time you look at it X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Penny - I do hope we get to visit Uluru it sounds incredibly special. I hope you are well. x

      Delete
  2. lovely list of firsts x good luck with all of them x

    ReplyDelete
  3. travel is the best! i hope your plans come together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always get excited at the idea, it will be lovely to actually make it happen!

      Delete