Sunday, November 02, 2014

be here now

(Ray Lamontagne - Be Here Now)

My very wise mum has long been of the opinion that the people who seem to achieve the most have the ability to be completely present in the moment at all times. No matter how much they seem to be juggling, they give themselves over completely to whatever they are doing, but similarly don't then dwell on things when they have moved on to the next task.

It is a skill I do not have, particularly not at home. When it comes to watching a film, or enjoying a meal, I often find my mind wandering, or my hands reaching for my phone. I replay the day's events as I lie in bed and find it difficult to sit still without thinking that there is something else I should be doing instead. That is why I enjoy reading, and blogging. I tend to become completely immersed in those activities, and find them all the more enjoyable for it.


via jokideo.com



I am trying to improve though. At work I am good at paying attention, and focussing on the task in hand (once I stop procrastinating and get on with it, obviously). I'm gradually learning to do it for the fun things too, talking with friends, walking the dog, even playing computer games with The Husband. I'm realising that it's just as important to concentrate on those moments, and allow yourself the space to relax and switch off, without constantly feeling that you should be doing something more productive, or achieving something from the to-do-list.

On the subject of the to-do-list, we booked our flights today. Australia here we come! What makes it even more exciting is that my Grandad is coming with us. We have family there that we can't wait to visit, and I can't believe how lucky I am to get to go travelling and exploring with The Husband and Grandad for company. I will no doubts be allowing myself some daydreaming about our travels when perhaps I should be focussing on other things, but I will also be sure to make the most of every moment of our trip when it comes around.


4 comments:

  1. Aah, mindfulness, a great thing to achieve! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes but not always easy! i shall keep trying - thank you for visiting :)

      Delete
  2. mindfulness is so good and it'll come with just a little practice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. have just realised that I was using the 2013 prompts - you must have wondered what on earth that had to do with veil!!! thanks for commenting :)

      Delete