Friday, August 28, 2015

word of the week #35



I have a habit of saying yes to things rather more than I say no. It can be a good thing, it can lead to new opportunities, and new experiences, but sometimes, as with this week, it can all be a bit too much. I started my new job at the start of August, but having volunteered to help with a piece of work at my last placement that needed finishing, I have been trying to get that finished in my free time while getting stuck in to a new job too. It has meant longer days at work as I try to make the most of the few months I will be here, and weekend after weekend, evening after evening spent working on the other piece of work. What speaks volumes, is when I write my diary, I'm practically repeating word for word what I wrote this time last year, when I found myself in the exact same situation. 

I also decided to sign up for an online module a few months ago, just out of interest, and the final homeworks and exam were all due this week too. Add to that the different online projects I've been trying to keep up with through the blog and instagram, my decision to try and bake along with Great British Bake Off and the fact that we're trying to hunt for a new car and I'm also trying to make plans for The Husband's thirtieth in a few weeks and this last week has felt a bit of a stretch.

As well as making me tired, and grouchy, when I don't feel I've had chance for a rest, it also means that other things start to slip. I haven't read any blogs, or replied to any comments. I haven't been for a run, despite the 10k being mere weeks away. I haven't sat with a book, or been out for a walk with the dog, or curled up in front of a film with The Husband. I did, however, go and visit my Grandad last night, and it was a wonderful chance to relax. A few times in recent weeks The Husband and I have gone to my Grandad's for dinner after work, and it has been a lovely evening of my Grandad's cooking, catching up and having a lazy few hours in front of the tv. I don't work, I don't blog, I don't clean, and I always come away feeling content.

Luckily, last weekend I completed the module and tonight I finally finished the work. I promised myself I wouldn't have it hanging over me during the Bank Holiday weekend, and it is a lovely feeling to think it is done. I can't promise I won't ever find myself in a similar situation, although my wise mum is gently suggesting I might want to avoid signing up to another new project just before I finish this placement! For now though, I can look forward to a long weekend ahead, I can relax and enjoy the baking tomorrow without feeling like I should be working, and by Tuesday life should be feeling much more well-balanced.



The Reading Residence

16 comments:

  1. Balance is like the holy grail don't you think? Especially for the yes people. I often find myself in that situation and promise I won't get there again....until next time! Glad things are freeing up a little, more time with your grandad that's what I say, grandparents are the best for chilling out and switching off-probably because by and large they're not caught up in this crazy online world and you can just be presnt in the moment with them.
    M x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes to more time with my Grandad (even in trying to say yes to less, I'm still saying yes!) xx

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you have had a lot on work wise, Katie. It can be so hard to say no or to not finish something you have started, but sometimes you just have to. I hope you have a wonderful and relaxing weekend. Take care xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Jane, sounds like you have been busy recently too xx

      Delete
  3. It's so easy to overcommit, I'm often guilty of this, too. I like to try so many things, and then I realise that I have too many things! Glad you're seeing the light at the end of the tunnel now and you can have a lovely long weekend x Thanks for sharing with #WotW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for visiting Jocelyn, glad it isn't just me!! x

      Delete
  4. Aww sounds like a really busy week! So glad that you finished a lot of your commitments. You are so awesome! Me I have so many things to still finish =) #wotw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you pixiedusk, such a lovely comment xx

      Delete
  5. I hope that you are having a great weekend and really enjoying some relaxation time! I know that it is hard when you are obviously a "doer", we sprang out of bed this morning at 8 am and Hubby is now already deep in a big project for the next couple of days - decorating! - we are doers too. I am sure that being aware of it will help you find the balance. Glad you have taken some time out to have dinner with your Grandad, that is a great idea!!! Hope you are having fun whatever you do this weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hope the decorating is going well, I'm definitely a doer!! xx

      Delete
  6. hurray for finishing the work, hope you're having a lovely weekend without it hanging over you x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I could've written this post! I am so guilty of saying yes to everything. It's hard to say no, but empowering when you do. I hope this coming week is less manic and that there is more room to breathe in each day. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Gillian, seems like there's a lot of us out there! xx

      Delete
  8. My mum told me once 'Don't clutter your life with unnecessary commitments' and it is a piece of advice I try to follow, the key word being 'unnecessary'. It makes me stop and weigh up the situation before jumping in with a 'yes', and has helped my decision making no end. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's great advice, I shall have to remember that one! xx

      Delete