Friday, August 21, 2015

word of the week #34



There has been a feast of baked goods in this house in the last week. From last Friday night's attempt at arlettes, two separate batches of biscotti by The Husband, and tonight's Great British Bake Off baguettes, it feels like we have spent the week covered in a gentle dusting of flour.

I haven't baked all that much in recent months, and it is nice to be getting back into the habit. It can feel a bit unhealthy always having sweet snacks around though, and I've never been great at resisting a biscuit!

As much as I enjoy making cakes, recipes with pastry, bread and biscuits are not that common for me. The Husband goes through phases of making biscuits, and they are always lovely, but I tend to end up with uneven blobs of a dubious texture whenever I try. It's not often I make pastry but I can do a reasonable attempts at shortcrust, and I enjoyed learning how to make puff pastry too.

Bread and I struggle to get along, partly I think because I don't eat that much bread normally, so it's doesn't seem worth the effort, and partly because I invariably end up covered in it. I left a trail from work surface, to windowsill, on my shirt, my phone case and my face. It somehow manages to get everywhere, and where there isn't dough, there are light dustings of flour. We have been inundated with dough this week and I think we will be cleaning it up for a few more days yet. It was all worth it for the smell of freshly baked bread though!


The Reading Residence

14 comments:

  1. Oh, to visit your house! I don't bake very often, and when I do, it tends to be nice and easy cakes only. Sounds like a yummy week! Thanks for sharing with #WotW x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much, I'm looking forward to some nice easy cakes when bake off is over!! x

      Delete
  2. Oh yes, there is nothing like the smell of freshly baked bread, or cake, or biscuits...or anything baked for that matter! You sound very much like me when baking Katie, it tends to get everywhere here too! Happy weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. gets everywhere, takes hours, and disappears far too quickly! xx

      Delete
  3. We are kindred spirits in this regard Katie. I romanticize the thought of baking homemade bread and rolls, the delicious aroma wafting through my kitchen, but in reality my results are always a mixed bag. I keep trying though because some day I might get it right!💓

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah thank you Grace, so glad to know it is not just me!! xx

      Delete
  4. We've got back into the swing of baking as well with the little ones being off and I do find it really rewarding. It sounds like you've had a really productive time of it! #WotW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for visiting Debbie, hope you've had fun baking! x

      Delete
  5. I love baking bread! The smell is what entices me the most. I love the smell of yeast and flour and the oven! What a lovely week you had =) #wotw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for visiting pixiedusk - you sound like you have really got the hang of baking bread!

      Delete
  6. I am the messiest baker in the world. I always end up with flour in my hair.......

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds as though it has been a very delicious week at your house! xx

    ReplyDelete