Wednesday, August 01, 2018

first things first




The first of August.

The first time I've been here in quite a while. In some ways it is lovely to find this place unchanged, in other ways I'm desperate to give it an overhaul; but not tonight, not for now, just writing something feels maverick enough.

The first time actually pressing the publish button in many, many months, but not through neglect. Well, maybe a little bit of neglect, but I haven't forgotten this space. I have missed being here very much, I even have a few half written paragraphs all about trying and failing to post something, anything. Life has been busy, no more than anyone else's, but I have found myself just about making it through the days for such a long time that days became weeks became months, and the longer I was gone the harder it was to pop back. And now I am here and hopefully it will be easier to come back again soon.

The first post in a while on Instagram too, as I have joined in with the first day of the August Break prompts over on Instagram. A version of my first effort is above, but even trying to copy that picture onto here in a format that looked of vaguely decent quality felt a little beyond me tonight, operating on multiple devices as I am. I won't aim to post my attempts here each day but I do hope to join in on instagram this month, so you are welcome to go and view future efforts there if you like!

The first day today where I felt fully recovered from my decidedly middle aged injury last week in which I pulled a muscle in my back while looking at packets of herb seeds in a garden centre (having gone there for Sunday lunch and a spot of plant shopping). I have clearly not become any more rock and roll in my absence. Unfortunately I have immediately today managed to twinge my wrist picking up T and so I remain afflicted with minor aches and pains in a manner that is not quite fitting for a thirty two year old, let alone one who still thinks she is about nineteen.

The first week where I have been properly back at work after a lovely long break. We have been lucky to have numerous holidays since I last wrote, visiting Berlin, Madeira and just recently two weeks around South Wales and Hereford. I shall not delude myself that I am going to share some lovely posts about our adventures, much as I would like to it doesn't feel particularly realistic based on my current form, but we have had some wonderful family trips and it has been great to start exploring places further afield as a family.

The first month in which I will officially be the parent of a two year old. I'm not sure how that happened, and I will hopefully do a post around his birthday, but he remains equal parts cheekiness and loveliness despite growing up far too fast.

The first year in which I might officially be the parent of a two year old and a newborn. If all goes well we have a new arrival due in late December. If T sets an example for his new sibling, it could mean that we are actually into 2019 before it makes its appearance, but hopefully we have incredibly exciting times ahead.

And just like that the first post is done. I will try not to leave it so long next time, it is good to be back.

6 comments:

  1. I was delighted to see a new post by you-and even more so to read your lovely news-- how exciting. I enjoy your writing. Your vacations sound interesting-particularly Madeira. My daughter in law went to Berlin recently for a conference and found it an exciting city. jean/winnipeg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment Jean, so nice to have someone stopping by here, I thought any readers might be long gone after the hiatus!

      Delete
  2. Hi Katie, lovely to see you're back. Congratulations on your news, wonderful! I look forward to hearing your news so it was lovely to see your post popping up. I've yet to return to my blog after 3 months of absence. The time element in blog writing, photography and editing coupled with the increase in obscure followers through bloglovin' has made me reluctant to post lately. However it is enjoyable to connect with friends through our blogs as we share our lives together. All the best, take care. Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cathy, for visiting, and your lovely comments. Hope you are well x

      Delete
  3. Congratulations Katie, that is wonderful news, I am delighted that you will be welcoming another baby to the world. Like you! i have been absent for a long time, amd am considering easing myself back in to blogging, as I would like to write again. My laptop screen blew the other day, somtakimg it to Laptop A&E today and hooefully be up and running soon, blowing the dust off my blogging muscle! Hope you are keeping well. Enjoy your birthday celebrations with T, I can’t believe he is 2, I think he was still a bouncing baby last time I looked! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Penny, I hope the laptop is getting fixed, and I look forward to reading your posts again when you are ready! Take care xx

      Delete