Monday, December 01, 2014

first things first

The first of December. Not entirely sure where 2014 has gone, time definitely seems to be going increasingly quickly, whole years passing by in what feels like weeks.

The first Christmas for a long time (perhaps ever!) without an advent calendar. I'm not sure how I feel about this one. On one hand I am nearly 29 and also feel that both from a health point of view and general perspective that I don't need a chocolate treat to count down to Christmas or to celebrate advent. On the other hand I feel like there are some small traditions that it is meaningful to keep, and I miss not having our advent calendars lined up side by side as they have been every other Christmas we have shared in this house. It wasn't a deliberate decision not to get one the chance just hasn't arisen, so who knows we may acquire some albeit a little late!


The first week in a while where I haven't had to pack a suitcase and set off across the country. I will be doing so in a few days but it was good not to feel that the weekend was counting down to an imminent departure. December will still be fairly hectic with nights away every week until Christmas but for now I have some much appreciated days at home.

The first blog post in a month that isn't being written as part of NaBloPoMo and yet I find myself back here so soon. I am somewhat lacking in pictures these days, I do not have much in the way of inspiration and there are only so many pictures of Millie I can put up here. Instead here is one from exactly six months ago, taken in Italy, the view from our hotel room the day after my brother-in-law's wedding.



The first steps of our Australian travel plans are getting sorted. We have a few hotels and flights booked and a clear idea of the rest of our destinations. It is lovely to see it coming together and so exciting to be in contact with my family over there and knowing we will be meeting up soon. 

The first day of the last month of a very eventful year. Just like 2013, this year has had its fair share of ups and downs. The Husband and I are both reflecting on the fact that this Christmas will be the first without some family members and friends. It has been a less relentless year than last, and we have both achieved a lot both professionally and at home. I'm looking forward to Christmas and to spending December gradually bringing this year to a close, and then to 2015 and the months ahead.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. thanks for your comments Penny - I hope Christmas was restful for you. x

      Delete