Saturday, September 01, 2018

first things first




The first of September.

The first week of Bake Off - did you watch it? I spent some of today valiantly attempting the Wagon Wheel technical challenge (post to follow), and reminded myself of the many reasons why it is better, in this instance, to watch than take part. They were not a complete disaster though, and I even managed to restore the kitchen to a relatively acceptable state, which I think The Husband felt was a particularly noteworthy first.

The first night in recent days where I actually had to sing to T at bedtime. After a few days of illness, including the gut-wrenching call from nursery to say he was not himself and had a temperature, and a trip to the doctor yesterday when he suddenly went downhill, he happily seems to be improving today. The last few evenings he has been asleep almost immediately after his bath, and as he requested one song after another tonight and then lay chatting to himself in the dark, it was nice to feel like he was getting back to his usual self.

The first quiet weekend in a while. We were actually due to be at a friend's daughter's birthday party tomorrow, but thought we should probably not turn up with a poorly, germ-ridden toddler. And so it is, after busy birthday celebrations, and then an intense stretch of shifts at work, including the Bank Holiday weekend, it is nice to have some slower-paced days ahead.

September also brings with it the first days of my third trimester. Time appears to be flying by at an alarming rate, and so I find myself without that usual nostalgic new beginnings feeling (usually accompanied by new stationery) that I usually associate with this time of year. Instead I feel more on a slow countdown to December, enjoying life as we are, and anticipating instead the new beginnings that for now, are just around the corner.

We had a visit from a plasterer this week too, the first forays in to moving T to a "big boy" bedroom. While the co-ordinating of the different jobs, and the clearing out of the room do not fill me with immediate joy, especially as the latter has developed into a clear out of two or three other rooms as well, I am very excited for him to have his first proper childhood room. I can't wait to get on with picking colours, and fabrics, finding homes for his favourite things and creating a space for the lovely little boy he has grown into.

And so September is here, bringing with it the first days of Autumn, the promise of cooler days, cosy evenings, and my favourite part of the year.


4 comments:

  1. I hope your little big boy is feeling much better now. I remember those dreaded calls from nursery all too well. A big boy bedroom sounds like fun to plan and create - once the unpleasant part of decluttering, plastering and preparation work is out of the way. Our not so little boys room could do with a bit of a revamp but I don't think I'd have the energy. Not long now, the third trimester will pass quickly! Wishing you a lovely week. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christina - we are gradually progressing to the fun part, although I am getting a little caught up trying to pick furniture and storage! xx

      Delete
  2. I’m afraid the Bake Off has lost much of its appeal for me without Mary, Sue and Mel, and the ads drive me crazy. Its funny how a second pregnancy just ‘happens’, as opposed to the first, when it was all so new, and felt so long! I am sure you will emjoy decorating T’s room, it is such a lovely phase. Glad to hear he is on the mend X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Penny, this pregnancy is very much happening alongside parenting which is very different to first time round! I hope you are doing well xx

      Delete