Sunday, July 17, 2016

word of the week



It has felt like there have been a number of small milestones over the last week or so, and the days have, as a result, been filled with flowers, which is my word of the week. 

Just over a week ago I finished work, for what will be, hopefully, a year of maternity leave. This last week has actually been annual leave, so I don't officially start the maternity leave until tomorrow, but my last day in work for rather a long time has now passed. As The Husband has been off this week too, it hasn't quite registered yet, but I imagine as he heads to work in the morning it might suddenly start to be a little more real! I actually left my placement permanently, as when I return I will be starting somewhere new, so there was an added sense of finality. My colleagues had very kindly got us a gift, and a bunch of flowers, to mark the occasion, and I left with promises to return soon, with our new arrival.

The following weekend involved an afternoon tea with my mum, and a few lovely ladies who happen to be our neighbours. It was the second time we have had a gathering in recent months, and it was another lovely afternoon. The icing on the cake was when my best friend arrived as a surprise to join us, it was lovely to see her, and she had also brought me some flowers to celebrate the start of my leave.

The Husband and I have both been off this week, partly to celebrate our fourth wedding anniversary. We went away for a couple of nights, not too far from home, and it was lovely to spend a few days together. As the traditional gift is fruit or flowers, some of my presents were floral themed, including a lovely notebook and pen, and also some specialty flours (great minds think alike Tess!). We returned home to a chilli plant from my parents, and the beautiful roses you see above from my Grandad. Then, on Saturday, a knock at the door brought a bouquet of roses from The Husband too, who hadn't wanted to let the occasion pass without buying me actual flowers too.

So from tomorrow, I shall be 37 weeks, which is officially full-term, and officially on maternity leave. There are a few small trips planned this week, so my days aren't looking too empty, and when I am at home, I am lucky enough to have a house filled with flowers to keep me company too!


The Reading Residence

14 comments:

  1. a life surrounded by flowers sounds like a good one to me xxx 37 weeks! so exciting xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always forget how much joy they bring me until I have them in the house again! xx

      Delete
  2. Although it is really tempting to do lots of things in these final weeks, I remember someone giving me advice which was to rest, doze, relax, and generally take it easy, as very soon you will have an awful lot to do, giving birth to your baby, and the wonderful, but totally different life that awaits you! Exciting times Katie! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I'm trying to get the balance right, plenty of resting going on! x

      Delete
  3. So many milestones and special occasions. I love receiving flowers, so a home filled with flowers sounds perfect to me. Glad to hear you had a lovely anniversary and enjoy the next few weeks of rest before baby arrives x Thanks for sharing with #WotW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jocelyn, and thank you for visiting xx

      Delete
  4. Katie, the time has passed so quickly! Your post brought back memories of when I was pregnant with my first child. Like you, I took a leave of absence at my 37th week. We had just moved into a townhouse and I looked forward to having three weeks to get settled in. You can imagine my surprise when our daughter Katie arrived two days later! : ) So happy for you and your husband! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has Grace, time seems to have flown by. Your early arrival must have been quite a surprise, no signs of the same here!! xx

      Delete
  5. So lovely to know you have a house filled with flowers to begin this most precious time, Katie. I loved every minute of being on maternity leave but, like Grace, my bundle of joy came early, nearly 7 weeks!! Wishing the most wonderful time and don't forget to put your feet up sometimes. Do keep us posted if you have time...will be thinking of you xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, another early arrival, that must have been a surprise too! I would be happy for it to make an appearance any day, but I suspect it might be fashionably late! xx

      Delete
  6. Glad you had a great anniversary. I hope that all will be well, relax and enjoy the roses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy, I have definitely been enjoying the flowers! x

      Delete
  7. I love the slightly faded look of those roses and wish you all the best for your maternity leave Katie. You know it will fly by as fast as the wind. Take the time to cherish these wonderful days and look after yourself. Best wishes xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kim, and thanks for visiting xx

      Delete